He and my Grandma (his primary caregiver all these years--she's 82) made it up to my mom's for Christmas this past year, but he had no idea who all the people were and where he was. It was very sad for us all to see him that way. He kept calling me the "kind girl". It was sad to see him that way but it was good to see him at the same time. We all had tear-filled eyes that last night of Christmas vacation together when we said goodnight to him and helped him to his bedroom. We knew, for many of us, that it would be the last time we would see him. We gave him hugs, kisses and "i love you's" even though he couldn't remember our names anymore. We knew that he wanted to remember us but just couldn't.
He never did forget my Grandmother. He said goodnight to her last night and one final "I love you" to her and then went to sleep. It is the best and most peaceful way to go. We know that he is no longer in a state of frustration or confusion, that his mind and body is now made whole.
We hope to go down to Orlando for a service the end of the week. I'm sure I will have a few more posts to blog about over the next week or so. Thank you, blogworld, for letting me type out my feelings...its helpful.

Granddaddy and I on my wedding day--2007.

Granddaddy, Grandma and I--April 2008.

My mom and I with Granddaddy--Christmas 2008. You can tell how much weight he had lost from April through December.
6 comments:
Jamie.... I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Praying for you. Love and hugs.
Oh Jamie big HUGS to you!! I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers!
Dear Jamie,
My prayers are with you.. I know you must already miss him so much. I am so thankful that you know that you will be eith him again in heaven and will dance with him upon beauiful streets of gold beside the cystal seas! I will be praying for your family as you begin to process this great loss. Much love, Sarah
Oh Jamie! I'm so sorry! I'm glad he had a peaceful passing! I'll be especially thinking of and praying for your Grandmom. She must be so sad! ((BIG HUGS))to you!
Dear Jamie,
Please rejoice when you gather to celebrate your grandfather's life and your grandmother's love. I remember your grandfather and your grandmother well. I had the pleasure of getting to know them when they came to visit you over the years. For some reason I vividly remember him renovating and putting down the tile floor (and your grandmother helping) in the breezeway of your house in Sterling. He did an amazing job and it was beautiful and transformed when he finished! We all hope to pass away as peacefully as he did! Please give my warmest regards to your family, your mother and your grandmother. I can only imagine how difficult this must be for her. I know you will all wrap your arms around each other as you have in the past and especially her and help her survive all the deep sadness she must be feeling. Hugs all around! xoxo
Jamie, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather..your family will be in my prayers
Post a Comment