Monday, July 13, 2009

3 weeks from today

Three weeks from today we will be heading over the Atlantic Ocean on our way to Malawi, Africa!

We arrived to the SIM USA headquarters this past Saturday night. I think I have mentioned it recently that the SIM USA offices are in south Charlotte...so it wasn't a long road trip. Ha. Most everyone else that we have met here is from different states...even as far as Seattle. It has been nice to meet so many missions-minded people that are headed to other countries. There are a few young families here that are planning on moving to do missions as "long-term'ers"...meaning a minimum of 2 years. Most everyone that is here doing training with us are relatively young--in their 20's-40's. However, we have had opportunities to meet some SIM workers who serve here in the USA office but have served overseas previously--some of them for 50+ years in African countries. This career committment to missions totally blows our mind! Daniel and I just can't comprehend what 1 year looks like for our family, let alone the next 40+. We are so thankful to meet so many that have lived such full lives of committment to God's Kingdom in this fashion! Their stories are unreal and their love for justice and mercy is so pure!

So, I have been taking a lot of pictures this week so far...but my laptop is still at the "shop" being fixed before we leave, so I will have to do a picture post later. I just had to give a little blog update! And let me tell you there are some good pics of Daniel and I getting our first round of immunizations! Sheesh, it has been 10+ years since I did my immunizations for India, and I wish immunizations didn't have an expiration dates! I received 3 shots the other day and have 5 more to get later this week...YIKES!!!

2 comments:

Katy said...

unbelievable - the day is quickly approaching! what an amazing experience it must be to be training there with so many like-minded people! awesome!

The Kirkland's said...

I can't believe it is almost time for you guys to be leaving!! Ya'll will be in our prayers daily and I can't wait to read blog updates from Africa!! Good luck with the rest of your immunizations.