Saturday, September 27, 2008

This Week in TK

I had a great school week this past Monday-Friday. Its taken me a few weeks to adjust into my new schedule and all the "newness" of a new school, administration and students/parents. So I feel like this past week was one of those "turn around" weeks for me. We studied the letter "O" and with it Owls and other predator animals. Friday I invited some of my parents to come and help assist with our science experiment of the week: dissecting owl pellets! I know what you are thinking, disgusting...why would you let 4 year olds do that? These pellets come from the Carolina Raptor Center in town and have been cooked through the kelm so they were completely "clean". Anyway, the experiment was for the kids to dissect and find mice bones and other animals that the owl had eaten. It was really neat after I got past what I learned about what pellets were...they aren't feces as I had previously thought, the owl vomits up a pellet that has bones and other things that it can't digest of an animal that it ate. I know, sick....Okay, okay, my science lesson is over...I really wanted to just share the pics of they kids from my class.



2 comments:

Judy said...

Those two girls in the front of that one picture holding hands are soooo cute!! And I love the owls hanging from the ceiling! Very cute classroom! And for anyone who thinks the owl pellet thing is weird: I've done it before -a few times actually! It's really not that gross and kids love it!!

Katy said...

my kids would totally love it!!! they got to do a virtual frog dissection at a museum this weekend and LOVED it! :)