Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chalk it up to Pinterest

Have I mentioned how obsessed I am with Pinterest.com? Maybe I haven't mentioned it on my blog but I have on facebook. Seriously...I was laughing how M has been sleeping through the night the last couple of months and you would think that I would head to bed early myself, but Pinterest it's been my new late night hobby! ha ha.

Anyway...I blame Pinterest on my latest attack of projects around here. I seriously have had 4-5 different projects going on at one time.

SO...here is Project #1. Mirror turned chalkboard. I have this small little wall that is a load-bearing wall (a la can't-be-torn-down-wall) and had an old phone jack sticking out of it (hello 1990's) that I wanted to cover up. I could have put a photo or another decor of some type but I decided to make this chalkboard for something a little different.

M and I visited one of our fav places around here..the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (we're lucky enough to have 2 in Charlotte). We found this old oak mirror for $10. I snatched it up, took it home, cleaned it up and spray painted the trim white. I should have taken the mirror out but it was kinda of a pain as had an old-school encasing around the back that I didn't feel like messing with. After a day to let it dry I painted the mirror with chalkboard paint. Not going to lie I did need to touch up the white where i bumped it with black but it wasn't a problem.

Before:

After: Our first message was for my mom and stepdad who were visiting us this past weekend.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Love it!!! We need a chalkboard around here. It just makes me a bit nervous because McKenna would probably go wild if she ever got her hands on some chalk. You should see her works of art she draws all over her legs whenever she get a pen in her hands. sheehs..that girl!

I'm addicted to www.iheartorganizing.blogspot.com and I've got a few before and after projects I need to share too!!

The Kirkland's said...

I LOVE it...I am also addicted to pinterest. I think I first heard about it from you on Facebook :) I have all kinds of projects going now!!!