Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Fruit Fly Trap


I hesitate a little to post this in case there might be some out there who might perceive my house-cleaning abilities as less than par. This post has no reflection on my cleaning style...trust me, I have been a cleaning fool these last couple of days since school has been over. Nevertheless, I have had a problem since Friday with fruit flies in my kitchen. Ewwwww...I know. I HATE them, and by the word HATE I mean they drive me crazy. So crazy that every time I see one sitting so comfortably on my countertop I want to get a gun out (I don't own one) and shoot it. Ha Ha...I can see the news headlines now. :) Anyway, instead of a gun, I took my frustration to ever-faithful Google page. I found a great trap...and so I am passing it on. Just in case there are others out there suffering from fruit-fly craziness this summer. (I think it all started from all the yummy fruit I bought for a gigantic fruit salad for our Cookout Fundraiser.)

The Trap: Take a small glass dish, pour a little red wine, cover with clear plastic wrap, poke a few small holes and WAIT! If you don't have red wine handy, I think red vinegar will probably work. The flies are attracted to the sugary smell, fly in and get trapped in the liquid. It works!! You can see a few flies in the dish, but the reflection doesn't allow you to see all 5 of the flies!! Ahhh....and now I can get back to my previously scheduled to-do list. Hope this helps someone.

No comments: