Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A Different Kind of Birthday

I attempted to post this last week but wanted to get parental approval first. This is a video of one of my students who is getting ready to have her much-awaited 5 year old birthday party! I think its when you are around 4 or 5 years that you start realizing that birthday parties are, like, the biggest thing compared to Christmas morning. Everything that you ever want gets either put on the "for my birthday" wish list or "for Christmas this year" wish list, am I right? I see this with my students throughout the year. So, you can imagine how touched I am that Mary Kate has decided to use her birthday party to collect toys for the children in Malawi rather than collect toys for herself. I am so incredibly proud of her.

The last couple of months of school we have talked a lot about the children in Malawi and what they have/don't have. We even did a toy drive (per the request of the missionaries in Malawi) to collect toys for the Orphan Daycare Centers. (More to come about those centers in another post). It was during this time that Mary Kate really came to the understanding that she could also help in a significant way. Her generosity speaks volumes to me, as I hope it does to you.



**Something is wrong with the You Tube setup, it is blocking the left part of the screen, I apologize...but at least you can hear Mary Kate's message. I'll try to fix it.**

No comments: