Tuesday, February 24, 2009

wanted: virtual boarder patrols

"Yes, you too, can fulfill the life-long desire and dream of being a 'Virtual Boarder Patrol'."

Yesterday I was listening to NPR on the way home (yes, boring, I know) and they had this story on about how the state of Texas has set up cameras along the Rio Grande boarder. These cameras were linked to the internet and now the state of Texas has offered a service to ANYONE...yes, ANYONE!....to becoming a "Virtual Boarder Patrol". It is just as easy as clicking a button, quite literally. You log on to the SITE and click on a camera to watch. The side bar tells you what kind of suspicious behavior to look for (i.e. "look for large number of people in boats in water"). When you do see something suspicious you click on another button, write a report and off it goes to the Texas police department of some-sort....so easy you could do it wearing your pajamas and sipping on coffee!! I couldn't believe this report and had to get home and check it out for myself.

At first, I thought that this might be a good idea for more eyes to be peeled for illegal activity. But then, the more I think about it the less I like the idea....I don't know why...something about it just makes me feel pretty uncomfortable.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Ryan Price said...

Oh how proud I am to be from Texas!! That's pretty crazy...

Ryan

Judy said...

Hmm...I read this when you first posted it and just like you I thought that it sounded like a good idea...at first. But the whole idea is based on the premise that people are good. And of course, most people are, but not all and I think the whole thing could really be abused. It could end up costing us tax payers a lot more money because of a few jerks who might think it's funny to make-up reports or lie or whatever. I guess the police could track them down, but I still don't think we should be giving that kind of power to just anybody!