Friday, April 25, 2008

stick figures


Let me first preface this blog post by apologizing if my ramblings below offend anyone! I just got back from a week-long errand running day. I'm trying to save gas so instead of just running out whenever I get the urge to see a store, etc I "saved" my errands for my day off and strategically plan my course to save money...my husband should be proud.

My point. Have you ever noticed those stick figure family stickers that people are putting on the back of their family vehicles? They are staggered stick figures starting with the dad and then the figures outline each member of the family all the way down to the family pets. Sometimes the figures show what each person's hobby is with a baseball or pom-poms, etc. Maybe its just a Charlotte thing but I promise every single van and SUV in Charlotte seem to have these littered on their back window. And I am upset!

Today I was more upset then normal I was waiting at a red light and the Honda in front of me had these fugures...but there was more too it...I leaned further to read under each family stick person was the person's name!! I couldn't believe it! Could parents just be any more NOT-SAFE? I'm all for cuteness and don't really mind the stick figures when they are on notecards or return address labels, etc. I just feel like this stands out to pedophiles or child abductors anywhere around the city and says, "hey follow us to our house...know where we live, how many children we have, what their hobbies are and what you can call them to get their attention!!" Seriously...have we lost our minds? Maybe I am over-reacting and being a tad dramatic about it but maybe not. I know being a teacher and being involved with children daily I tend to come home and start ranting conversations with "if I was a parent..." but then I always realize that in the end I'm not and don't know everything (or anything) about it. I'm just asking for us to be safe and a bit more protective with what we are announcing on the back of our car for hundreds of people to read everyday.

5 comments:

Luis and Christy said...

Good point... I'm going to get the stick people on my Honda, but I'm going to put aliases on mine. I'm going to name my husband Pat, me Ginger, the baby Ladarius, the one dog Shaggy, and the other dog Brownie. I'm putting fake hobbies down too... I'm thinking cross-stitch for my man, Pat.

Anonymous said...

this is funny and true :) at ep's mmo they give everyone a piece of paper with your child's first and last name on it for you to pick them up in the car...the only thing is that i would always forget to remove it from my dash after i picked her up! carl would get so mad at me :) i don't do it anymore because we finally lost the paper - i think isaiah destroyed it...apparently for a good cause :) miss you!!!!!

Katy said...

Pretty funny - I love the little people on stationary and note cards and stuff, but haven't seen too many on the vans and cars here yet. Come on people!!!

Judy said...

I'm loving Christy's comment!! I need to start checking her blog. I'm sure she's hysterical as always!
Sometimes I worry about the whole safety thing even with blogging, although I've never posted my address or even the town we live in on my blog. It still crosses my mind and I've considered making my blog private, but then it's a pain for people to log into.

Sarah Joy said...

I am one of Judy's friends adn was looking at your bog... I live ion Charlotte adn know what you are saying... they are on every van (except mine!) that you see. You are so right about the danger in placing names on them! Way to go for snapping the picture. Stick people are cool, especially the ones that resemble Minnie and Mickey but not names adn not plastered so you can't see out of your back window!