
So, Katie Couric is on my street right now! (not that I am a big fan or anything...I'm not.) But I do love when the media recognizes a non-profit that does so much for the children in our "transitional" neighborhoods here in the GREAT city of Charlotte. Oh, man, I really am going to miss this city...and this neighborhood.
I got the Katie Couric lead from a friend on Facebook that volunteers at the 24/7 Prayer Room on our street...another AMAZING plus to our 'hood. (Yes, a prayer room...thats usually where our small group meets on Thursday nights but we are done for the summer. Its such a great place that has a ton of little corners and places to either be alone in prayer or be in a big group. I'm going to miss 24/7.)
Ok...back to Couric. There is a non-profit around the corner from 24/7 that recycles and restores bikes. Daniel bought his from there last year for cheap. "Trips for Kids" actually does more than that. They help kids learn to ride, fix and upkeep bikes. They believe that "cycling is an empowering sport that can help kids achieve “breakthrough” results in their lives." They are making a HUGE difference in the lives of families and children in the city by giving them a sense of ownership and helping them have something that perhaps they could never have afforded to have before. So great, huh?
Daniel and I were just out on a walk and saw the camera crew filming a group of kids getting bike-riding lessons. I am not sure when the Evening News is going to air this segment, but when I know I will let you know so you can see the good that is happening here in the Belmont neighborhood here in the Queen City. :)
3 comments:
how cool is that? what a GREAT idea for a non-profit too!!
that is really awesome, Jamie. We are looking for a bike for Ri, maybe we should head there to look. I have been craigslisting for one but no luck... just people asking way too much. This place sounds great!
When you said the evening news, at first I thought you were talking about the local news, but good old Katie is a big deal! Too bad you couldn't snag a picture of her! I'm with you, not a fan, but she's the perfect person to bring attention to a great organization!
Post a Comment