Wednesday, May 13, 2009

8 1/2 more days!

I feel like it has been forever since I have blogged...and it hasn't been because I have nothing to blog about! I DO have so much to catch everyone up on but my days have just been so jam packed with things to do! We had such a great dessert fundraiser last Saturday night that I want to blog about...the pictures are still on my camera! I am usually downloading my pics and posting them as soon as I get home from wherever I have taken pics...but just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

The great news is that I only have 8 1/2 more school days left with my kiddos. I can't believe that this school year has gone so fast. I feel like it was just yesterday we were going to the pumpkin patch. I really am sad that it is almost over. I have been so focused on Malawi lately that I start feeling a bit guilty that I am not spending enough time on school (actually I have felt that way for months). My kids are so sweet and precious. They are so excited that I am moving to Africa and they totally get the need of the children there. We were talking about the African children the other day and one of them said, "I know, Mrs. McCollum, you can go and teach them their ABC's and numbers because thats what you teach us. And then they will know how to do their papers and school work. Thats a great idea...yeah, you can go and teach them!" Luke was so proud of his idea. Then sweet little Lauren said, "yeah, you can teach them because you are such a great teacher to us." Then Lindsey piped up and said that she was giving all her money in her piggy bank to the kids in Africa so they can have medicine and toys. The conversation trailed on with everyone saying what they were going to do for those in Africa that are less privileged and in need. Be still my heart. Later I was telling Daniel about the conversation and it made me so emotional. If their little minds and hearts only soaked up our conversations about Jesus and helping those in need around the world and nothing else, then my 10 months of waking up at 6am were not in vain!

Well...I am off to work on a project to do with them tomorrow. My pictures will have to wait another day!
Love and peace to all.

1 comment:

Katy said...

No, not in vain at all! Kids get it. They get how hard it would be if they didn't have medicine and food and clean water. i think they get it sometimes better than we spoiled and complacent grownups do. Their hearts have been imprinted for sure!