I won't make this post as long as my previous one. Just an update. As I might have mentioned before, Daniel and I are going to Malawi via a missions organization called SIM. Maybe you have heard of them...maybe not. (I will spare you the 100+ years of missions history.) In order to go to Malawi with SIM we had to make the long car ride to their US headquarters (lucky for us its in Charlotte) for a 4-day "Screening" weekend.
Let me just say that today exceeded our expectations of this missions organization. We had many different thoughts and fears heading into this weekend...too complex to write about this time of night...but basically we were fearful that the organization as a whole would be too "baptist-ey" (yeah I just made that word up, but I think you know what I mean) or too old school, too about systems, or too much about the end result and numbers. By the time we were finished with our first interview this morning we both had a calming, peaceful feeling of fitting in and belonging to an organization that was less institutionalized and more about being a family and community of support and grace. It was a pretty awesome day and we felt very affirmed by the "seasoned" missionaries that interviewed us.
We are here at SIM with our dear friends Kayla and Jonathan who are also going to Malawi with us this summer. We love them so much and are immensely blessed by their friendship and the common passion and love for these Malawian people who we have yet to meet.
Uh oh, I think this post is getting too long. Overall it has been an amazing day. Hopefully tomorrow will be great as well...we do have to meet with a psychologist to make sure we aren't crazy...hmmm...maybe I should be a little nervous.
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I will be praying for you this weekend as you go through all the interviewing and learning. You guys were on my heart the other day... I just prayed as God lead. Can't wait to hear more about your weekend.
It's great to hear that God is continuing to give you confirmation that you are exactly where he wants you to be!!
I'm glad that SIM is turning out to be a good organization. After going to LU we have experience with things sometimes getting pretty baptistey and there is such thing as caring too much about the numbers. I'm glad this isn't a problem for you guys.
this is going to be an amazing year for you guys jamie. how exciting to be getting to do these tangible first steps towards africa!!!
Post a Comment