I was listening to a Rob Bell message today in the car when I was driving and he summed up what I felt my message has been the last couple of months. (Rob, how do you always know how to do that?) He said, "Jesus tells us just to follow Him...He doesn't promise us anymore than that." Wow...so true. And so, as Daniel and I try to obediently follow Him in our everyday lives, we have heard the calling and felt the nudge to take the next step in our faith-journey--in our marriage together, with our family's future on hold and with our family and friend's support and blessing...we are excited to announce that we will be moving for 12 months to Malawi, Africa in July 2009!
This journey for us started way back when we were dating and talking about the "M" word...marriage. At that time I was living with another couple from our church, Jonathan and Kayla. As Daniel and I prayed about our future and about one day serving overseas together, Jonathan and Kayla were also praying and wrestling with the same thoughts about living in another country. The four of us started to engage in conversations about this topic periodically over the last 2 years, and eventually it turned into "quite often". For a long time we had no idea where or when. Watershed, our church community, and Equitas, the non-profit organization that Kayla and Daniel are board members on, started to really focus on Malawi, Africa this past spring through several projects. To make a long story short, our hearts and souls started beating hard for this country that we have never been to, and for her people that we have yet to meet. We resonate strongly with the idea that God has blessed us so that we may also be a blessing to others and feel like there is not a better time to do this but now.
There are many questions and not many answers at this point as to what exactly we will be doing in Malawi, but the main thing is that we will be taking on new initiatives and plans to reach the youth in the city of Balantyre, we will also be supporting the mission there with administrative and project planning skills.
There are many details, questions and emotions that will be leading up to our departure in the summer.But for today I know that I am to "follow Him" and He will fulfill the details, provide the answers and calm the emotions. For more information on our upcoming African adventure visit our website www.mccollumsinmalawi.com

7 comments:
I just got your letter and checked out your website. The website looks great! I can tell you guys put a lot of time into it! I'm so excited for you guys. I know that it has been your heart's desire to serve the Lord together with your husband for many, many years. What an adventure it's going to be and I know that God is going to use you in a mighty way! I'm praying for you guys, for all the details that still have to be worked out and mainly that Jesus will be glorified through your lives!!
I just had a thought... Can you blog in Malawi??? I certainly hope so or I just don't know what I'm going to do!!
I am so excited for you guys. Jamie you have always had such a servants heart and I really admire you for that. I will definentally keep ya'll in my prayers and can't wait to see updates about all the wonderful things ya'll are doing over there.
Jamie, Your Malawi site looks great. I just saved it to my favorites, so I can keep up to date. We will be praying for you! oh yes, here's the link to my favorite training guru for your 1/2 marathon. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm
I was so excited to read your letter last week about this new journey. David and I have been through that journey many many times - about the fact that God's command is so simple..."Follow Me." That's it! Excited to check out the website and be praying over how God is going to use this next phase of your life together!
And by the way - did you sign up for the race? I saw another comment about training plans for the 1/2 marathon - I've got a great one that I used that I could hook you up with!
Sweetness! That is awesome! proud of you guys and excited for you to experience God in the context of a non-American world.
Post a Comment