Tuesday, October 21, 2008

S is for Scarecrow

We had a great week last week in school...busy but great! It was the last week of the quarter, report card time and parent-teacher conferences. It was also our week that we learned about the letter "S"...we learned the sound, words that begin with "S", how to write the big and little "S", etc. Well, what else could we have done but to make our own "scarecrows"? We did this on Friday--it was a half day which in my book equals "fun friday".

So, here are some pics of us getting to work on our project. It was pretty easy and didn't take as long as I had thought. I had a few kids bring in some old clothes, I brought in all my plastic bags from my pantry...a perfect fall project to recycle. I tied the legs and wrists with yarn and had the kids start stuffing. When I ran out of plastic bags I used newspaper and even paper bags. It was a perfect "destruction" project for my boys. :) To make a head I used paper bag, glued on googly eyes and attached straw as hair with a hot glue gun. When the kids were in music I took the raffia straw and retied the yarn in each leg and arm to make the scarecrow look like it was "stuffed" with straw. :)

The kids love seeing their "scarecrows" wearing their clothes and greeting them at the door! A very fun and easy fall project!!



2 comments:

Judy said...

Cute door! Cute craft idea! I wish you were Abby's teacher! Seriously I do! You're the best!

Katy said...

so so cute!! One of our local nurseries did a scarecrow fundraiser last year, and we had so much fun making them. I think we missed it this year, but I LOVE making a good scarecrow - i bet your kids thought it was the BEST!