Saturday, March 15, 2008

first race day ever

Well, I did it! This morning I completed my first race day ever! I've been anticipating it all week. I was super nervous about the "rolling hills" that I had heard about, in addition I didn't sleep a wink last night because all I could think about was how I didn't want to be the last person to cross the finish line!

So, with my supporting husband cheering me on I lined up and started the race with about 800 other people...my nervousness quickly dissipated into adrenaline which quickly ran down my legs and made them feel like jello. I wanted so hard to run as fast I could but I held back to a steady pace. This race was 4 miles so at the mile 2 marker you turned around and went back the same way...and much to my surprise there were a ton of people still behind me! And the hills weren't really that bad until mile 3...and then, there it was...the Big Momma Hill! I did it though with a tad bit of walking but not too much since I had to stay ahead of all those that I had passed! Next thing I knew I was heading down the path towards the finish line looking for Daniel. He was there with camera in hand. Some of our other friends from church were there too that I didn't know were running! My time was 42 min. which was great since I had been doing 4 miles in 45. It was a great accomplishment! I have never been a runner and when I say NEVER I am not including the times that I have run from my building to the car or from the couch to the kitchen! I think I have found something that I can really enjoy. Until next race day...

Watershed (my church) was unknowingly my race sponsor for the event...not really!


Trying to get in the zone!

Coming into the finish line!

Daniel and I after the race...he's a big runner himself so next time he's doing it with me!

7 comments:

The Samsons said...

Congrats, Jamie! I'm so proud of you. You look like a seasoned runner in your pictures :)

Luis and Christy said...

Man, that zone picture is serious business. If I was standing beside you and saw that face, I'd move closer to someone who looked more clueless. Way to look like a pro and be an inspiration :)

Judy said...

Wow!! Great job! I'm so glad it ended up being a positive experience. Tell Daniel we expect to see him out there next time!!

snowskcone said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are such a jock! Seriously......it's wonderful that you are getting into running.....on the other hand, I'm spending my time getting out of running. takin it s l o wwww
hehe...see you at w'shed!

Katy said...

You ROCKED it Jamie - I am so proud of you! You are definitely a RUNNER - for real!! The pictures are Great - Daniel did a wonderful job with the whole experience. 42 minutes is FABULOUS - you are AWESOME! I'm SOOOO proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Isn't it adicting. We just did the gate and are a huge running kick. You look so natural, keep it up.

Amy said...

Congratulations!! That's quite an accomplishment! You look like a pro in your pictures:)