Wednesday, February 27, 2008

finding theology at Starbucks


We went to Starbucks last Friday night after an amazing sushi dinner with our dear friends...I can't think of a better evening...sushi + friends+ starbucks = a great evening. This is a picture of my Starbucks cup from the evening.

Anyway, marketing strategy or not, I always love to read "The Way I See It" quotes on the back of each Starbucks cup. I saw this quote and I immediatly thought of Jesus! (I admit, not always my thought while I am drinking the new skinny latte (only 90 calories.)

When it was time for Jesus to lead people, especially the disciples, he had already displayed great love for them. And when it was time for him to save the people, he had already served the multitudes and individuals by miraculous signs and wonders in addition to great teaching-using parables that were relevant in Jewish context. Jesus' message of salvation wasn't always just the "repent-before-you-die-so-you-can-be-with-me-in-heaven" message. He spoke so much (I'm learning) of the Kingdom of God being "at hand" and what it meant to bring the Kingdom of love, grace, righteousness, truth, goodness, light, and justice here to earth.

I'm learning more and more of what we are to emmulate here on earth...serving people with love and saving them from our earthly kingdom. Yes, people are saved from Hell at the end of their life, but what about the Hell here on earth that many endure? We are to lead them into the Kingdom "at hand"...bringing the Heavenly Kingdom into their lives. I'm also learning that Jesus' ways were not always how we were taught in Sunday School...never passive. His ways were ingenious, subversive, truly transformational, full of meaning and beauty, to the point and laden with depth, justice and kindness....never judgmental. I'm learning more and more of how we are to be as ushers of this Kingdom here on earth...leading in love, serving as we save...intersecting heaven here on earth! I never would have guessed that a I could be reminded of a little theology in a Starbucks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts!!

The Samsons said...

Yes, Jamie, such great thoughts! I am studying the book of Matthew right now, and I have been learning some of these very things!
Thanks about the baby bedding. I can't wait for you guys to have babies - they will be so cute :)

Katy said...

So so very true. And now on a less spiritual matter, were you in a panic when Starbucks was closed for a few hours the other day?? It was hilarious the panic that was caused!

Amy said...

Starbucks theology! I love it! Isn't it amazing how God speaks to us through the relatively mundane details of our everyday lives - if we'll just be still enough and let Him!