Friday, January 14, 2011

New Year's Baby, Almost


So if you follow me on twitter or facebook you know by now that our sweet "McBaby" entered the world on Sunday, January 2, 2011. I really had thought that we were going to have a baby boy and was quite surprised when Daniel announced to me in that birth moment that "It's a GIRL"! We were elated...and still are.

I started sensing contractions on Friday, New Year's Eve. They weren't really powerful and not following in any sort of timed pattern...but I knew what they were. We carried on with our New Year's Eve plans..though, having known how tired I was going to be, I probably would have canceled and forced myself to sleep before the ball drop. Oh well. We went to dinner with friends and then had several over to our house after for games and the midnight countdown.

The next day the contractions were gaining on me. We were on the phone throughout the day with my midwife reporting in each new feeling, timing, etc. We labored most of the day at home with a lunch break to the mall for Chick-fil-a salad and a walk around to help speed up the process (and window shop to take my mind off of things). The contractions progressed and became more and more painful.

Around 11pm my midwife told me to start heading to the birth center and she would meet us there. Shortly after arriving and settling in, Damaris (my midwife) checked me to see how far I had dilated. I had it in my head, this being my first time having a baby, that it would take me longer than most. We were quite surprised when she announced that I was "an 8, almost a 9"...I had prayed to be at least at a 6. My water still hadn't broke and around 3am I told Damaris just to break it for me...it was causing so much pressure. At 5:12am our sweet, precious daughter was born. Yes, 2 hours of pushing due to it being my first time, and the fact that Maryn had her hand up on the side of her face. The whole midwife/birth center/natural birth experience was AMAZING! I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Maryn was 8 lbs. 8 oz...way bigger than anyone had anticipated. She is the sweetest thing and we continue to be impressed by God's handiwork, His timing, His love, His gifts of blessing, His renewed strength and His peace. Thanks for all the encouraging words and prayers.

We named her Maryn Tadala.
Maryn is derived from the name Mary. Mary, the mother of Jesus, possessed a strong but humble spirit and a loving heart, which was exemplified throughout her life. It is our prayer that our Maryn would possess a similar spirit and heart, sensitive to the heart of God, so that those around her would experience the unending love of God.

Tadala is a word that we discovered while living in Malawi, Africa. Tadala means "we are blessed" in the Chichewa language. We were truly blessed by this new life that began while living in Malawi. Our daughter is a gift that God granted us while in Africa and one for which we will always be deeply grateful.

3 comments:

The Samsons said...

Soo fun to hear the birth story! Awesome job!! And congratulations on Maryn!

Sarah Joy said...

So excited to hear the story of Maryn's birth. She is beautiful! I can tell just form your words how overjoyed you are with her arrival! Congratulations and many blessings!

Judy said...

I've been dying to hear how it all went down, but of course I know you have just a few things keeping you busy these days.

I had contractions for three days leading up to McKenna's birth, but then when I got to the hospital it went quickly because most of the work was already done.

Pushing for 2 hours does NOT sound like fun, but the result of all that labor couldn't be better. I'm so thrilled for you guys that Maryn is gorgeous and healthy!

You are greatly blessed!!!!