
I wanted to post this the below post too but I don't know what happened.
The next couple of weeks our church is going through a series called "GreenWay". Its been awesome so far. The Greenway series is an attempt to engage people and start conversations on the Biblical mandates and importance of Creation care or "going green". This is something that Daniel and I have been educating ourselves a lot on of late. We have been humbled by those around us who have gone to great lengths to really be obedient on the issues of taking care of the earth and the things that God has given us. We realize together that we aren't experts on any level but have committed to joining the practice of Creation Care in our lives, our homes and our communities.
So, when I realized a couple of months ago that our pastors were preparing for the series I wanted to help. Kayla and I decided that we wanted to lead a small group on the issue. Our group, called [re]Think (logo above), is only going to meet 4 times through our series but the purpose is to engage in conversations, education, ideas and in the reality of green initiatives. We met this morning for the first time to discuss how to "Green your home" and simple ways to cut the energy and water use in homes. We also discussed toxins in home cleaners. It was great. We are meeting again on Wednesday to experience public transportation (Charlotte has a new light rail system) to a restaurant to eat dinner together. We really highlighted the importance that maybe we need need to [re]Think a little on our waste, consumption, energy, etc. We can all do something to help!
3 comments:
I've been feeling the need to go a little greener myself. Squiggly bulb, recycling, etc. I really wanted to start composting (to cut down on trash), but Ryan's not a big fan of the idea. You can get composte barrels and I really wanted to, so we'll see about that. My parents are both extremely "green" people. I got away from it for awhile, because it does take extra thought and extra time, but I'm trying to recommit myself. Unfortunatly my car is quite the gas guzzler, but I can't really do anything about that right now...gotta have room for 5 kids.
Jamie--- I love this ! I wish we would have our Pastor doign a green series. It seems to me that a lot of christinas view beign green as liberal adn not important adn Itotally disagree. My Aunt is an envirmental nurse and I have learned so much from her... especially when it comes to the envirment adn our children. The most recent thing that i hva ebeen doing is trying to remove the use of plastics from my kids lives... water bottles (use stainless steall instead), sippy cups and bottles (there are certain brands that are much safer than others). It does take work and it does cost more but making little changes one day at a time, one step at a time all add up for a healthier way to live!We also rfecently started changign out all of our light bulbs... this cuts so much energy use down! We found an awesome deal at Costco on the bulbs, about thalf the price of everywhere else. If I remember correctly they were 10 bulbs for $12 or $13. that is pretty good.
It's true -- it is all of my liberal friends that blab on and on about being green and talk about their carbon footprint so I kind of tune it out, but this is a good reason to rethink it. As always, James, thought-provoking!
Post a Comment