Friday, March 05, 2010

Tour of Malawi and more

We (the four of us: Jonathan & Kayla and Daniel and myself) have been out of town (Blantyre, the city where we live in Malawi) since Sunday. It has been a nice little tour around Malawi (well, a small tour). In a nutshell, we left home on Sunday and headed towards Lake Malawi, Salmia to be exact. We went to visit another missionary couple who have literally lived in Malawi their whole life, I mean, fluent in the language, culture, everything...the Barr's are two of the most amazing people we have met. Anyway, it was amazing to see their ministry. We have a group from our church coming in April and we will be partnering with the Barr's on an irrigation project in a neighboring village. (side note: we had to walk to the village of Gadi because there are no roads for cars and it should be noted that it is rainy season in Malawi...we walked in pure mud for 45 minutes..a memory for sure!) Monday we headed out to spend 2 nights on Lake Malawi...ahhh, love the lake. Wednesday we drove an hour to Lilongwe, Malawi's capital city. We are staying in guest "huts" on the campus of a Bible college...it actually is really nice and comes with internet...thank goodness! It has been such a treat to just pop online whenever to check email, or chat on skype, or write a blog, or read blogs, or post pics, or surf the net on whatever just comes to mind...ah, I almost couldn't sleep the first night because I was just so excited to be online. I know some of you are rolling your eyes right about now, but living in Malawi has made me appreciate these small things in life. :) Ok, back to our time. So Thursday morning we woke up and I walked out to meet Kayla for breakfast...uh oh, we informed each other that both of our husbands were up all night sick. So...we took them to a hospital that a few of our missionaries work at. Not only was it comforting seeing an American doctor, but it was also a relief to get a negative malaria test back for both Daniel & Jonathan. We were a little worried about malaria since it is rainy season and mosquitoes are out in full force. Come to find out it is a bacterial infection...antibiotics were given and taken and both of them are feeling a bit better this morning. To be honest, though I hate it that Daniel isn't feeling 100%, it has been quite nice just to lay around and relax a bit. It has given me a chance to work on things that I haven't been able to work on in a while.

One of those things is learning more about Photoshop. Yes, I have been photoshopping! And I am addicted. I know, the eyes are rolling again, but I think I might be the last person on earth to not know how to do all those cool things on photoshop...so today was my day to teach myself some new, cool tricks. Here they are, blog friends. I wish I had brought my USB cord with me, so I could edit the pics that I took at the lake this week. So, stay tuned...more photoshopping to come.

Original Photo--straight from camera

I call this one "True Blue" ha, original, eh?

And this one, "Sunset under the Baobob" I know, brilliant, right? ha ha.

And this one, "Baobob: black and white" seriously, I'm so good at naming these photos! Just kidding.

1 comment:

Judy said...

What an amazing tree!!! Those pictures are gorgeous...all of them :)
I'm so glad Daniel is feeling better and that you got to have the internet for awhile!
Great to hear from you as always!