Saturday, May 10, 2008

a walk to remember



Chloe (my niece) and Me.
Forgive me for my cheesy, movie-title turned blog title...but it was! It was actually a weekend to remember. Today I graduated...let me say it again, "TODAY I GRADUATED!" There that's more like it! And it feels great to say it loud and proud! We returned home from the fun day as a college-educated couple this evening from our trip to the 'Burg...Lynchburg that is.

Anyway, it was so fun for Daniel and I. We arrived at our Almamater (now I can say that) on Friday afternoon for the commencement rehersal. After walking around campus reminiscing we made our way to the NEW Thomas Road Baptist Church to check out "Main Street" which was pretty cool to walk through...then I remembered that in the NEW Pate Chapel was a DLP (Distance Learning Program) Reception. We were starving at this point so we quickly found ourselves in line for food. Then just as I was reaching for a plate a DLP staff lady approached me and asked me if I would mind modeling for an LU photographer to model LU paraphaniela. SURE...why not? So they escorted me off by limo, offering me strawberries and champaign along the way with the promise of making millions, to the studio...ok, NOT really, but they did take us up to the Chancellor's office and offered us a Pepsi. I posed with an LU blanket and smiled at the camera. Daniel and I were cracking up...it was pretty random that they would just approach me of all people...hey, at least they really do use students for all those postcard/magazine/website shots and not some high-priced actresses who never attended college. Right?! Anyway, it was random and humourous so I thought that I would share the memory.

The Graduation Day itself was beautiful...it was so neat being a part of something bigger than myself...even though I have 3 classes still to take, it is wonderful to have closure to "finish what I started". It was extra special that my family was there and Daniel was in the stands supporting and clapping for me!!

I was sitting in the second row near!! Pretty good spot to hear Chuck Norris...uh, right!

There were 4,805 students that graduated with me...the largest graduating class yet!


Dr. Fawell passed away last year on Daniel's birthday. His memorial site is behind the Mansion facing the beautiful mountains.

"Never Quit." -Jerry Falwell. I thought it was appropriate to take a picture of me with one of Doc's favorite sayings. Thanks, Dr. Falwell, for helping me achieve my dreams!

6 comments:

Amber said...

Jamie... ah SO many memories! I'm so glad that you had such a fun day! Wish we could have been there with you!

Luis and Christy said...

Wow, we were so full of ourselves when we were there that we missed the big meaning behind so much of what that school had to offer. It is a special thing that you were able to go back with a more mature perspective and appreciate it for the great place it was.

You comments about Jerry made me a little teary. Wow, we were just too cool for ourselves in those days.

Rebecca O said...

Your post made me cry.

Congratulations.

Strangely, last year we visited TRBC and saw Jerry Falwell speak like 8 days before he died.

Judy said...

Wow LU has changed so much since we were Freshmen there. I remember the days when you couldn't have a TV!! I'm so glad that you NEVER Gave UP and stuck with it and got your degree! I think it's great that you were able to walk and have that commencement experience. I agree with Christy, it almost seems more meaningful now.

Katy said...

How awesome - what an amazing accomplishment! I'm dying to go back and see what a different campus it is now! Hopefully you are renewed with energy now to finish those last 3 classes!!! Yippee! And congrats on the new career path in modeling for LU!

The Kirkland's said...

Congradulations Jamie. What an amazing day. You looked fabulous in your cap and gown :)